Free baby knitting pattern. Would you like to knit this miniature sweater for a special baby?
Animals are always present in children’s clothing. It is possible to play with colors and stitches to create textures that will attract the attention of the little ones of the house.
This time the chosen animal is the Koala. You can also take a look at the patterns of the little sheep and its embossed body with all bodoques or the teddy bear with its braided sweater.
If you want to get started with a simpler stockinette stitch, you have all the pattern available on my blog, by clicking on the following link. You will find the instructions from size newborn to 12-24 months.
The sweater includes a side opening with two buttons to make it easy to put it on and take it off.
Dare to practice with color if it’s your first time on a tiny project with this free baby knitting pattern.
If you know the Ravelry platform and want to save the pattern there, you can do that too.
Free on Ravelry
Happy knitting experience! Enjoy the process and share the result 🙂
The sweater is worked flat in one piece, starting up the front and down the back.
1. Start up the front. Work flat while completing the Koala until reaching the sleeves.
2. Cast on sts for the sleeves.
3. For the neckline, Bind off the center stitches and leave right sleeve stitches on waste yarn or stitch holder. Continue with left sleeve. Make additional rows for the sweater opening. Cast on the sts of neckline and opening and continue
working back with sleeves.
4. Bind off sleeve sts and work back.
5. Finish off: Duplicate stitch for Koala’s diaper and sew side and sleeve seams.
What do you need to know?
To knit and purl, increases and decreases. Colorwork/ intarsia for color change. Duplicate stitch. There are support videos included if it is your first time.
Yarn: Drops Merino Extra fine – 50gr; Each skein has 115 yds/105m. Merino Superwash Wool (100%)
• Amount main color: 2 (2, 3, 3, 4) 50 gr skeins.
Total in meters: 210 (210, 315, 315, 420) m.
Total in yards: 230 (230, 345, 345, 460) yds.
• Few meters/yards for Koala, nose and diaper.
• Needle 4 mm (US 6).
• Other yarn suggestions
• Marker for delimiting the Koala chart.
• 2 small buttons around 12.5 mm/ 0.5 in
• Waste yarn or stitch holders.
• Tapestry needle for finishing off.
In a 10 x 10 cm (4 in x 4 in) square you should have 20 sts and 26 rows. Work the swatch in Stockinette st and block it.